Friday, March 10, 2023

Luke 14:25-33

 I think I could spend the rest of our study on this passage alone. So powerful and convicting as I sit and ponder the words of Jesus and then the teaching of Sinclair Ferguson on them. Several points were drawn out that I would love to offer for us today:

"When Jesus calls a man, he bids him to come and die." -Dietrich Bonhoeffer These are not typically words we find scrolled across the front cover of discipleship books. Yet this affirms the words Jesus says to the crowd."Whoever does not bear his own cross and come after me cannot be my disciple." Jesus calls us to follow Him. So often we change this thought, we soften it- "Jesus loves you for you, you are enough, you are God's little princess." Quite the difference of Jesus turning to the crowd (women included) saying unless you are willing to die, unless you love me with a love so radical that your affections towards your family feel like hate- you cannot follow me. 

The only thing that is enough in our life is our sin to convict us and our Lord to save us. 

In what ways have we allowed discipleship to reflect worldly ideologies rather than biblical ones? 

Have you considered the cost?

No comments:

Post a Comment