Tuesday, August 11, 2020

James 1:27b

 James 1:27b: and to keep oneself unstained from the world. 

KJV reading of this uses the word 'unspotted,' and Strong's Greek defines it as, unspotted or without vice.


As we wrap up the entirety of chapter 1 today we are reminded in this very simple yet profound verse; that we are to keep ourselves unstained from the world.

It is good to realize this is not a call to perfection. This although James is making the assertion that we should be not just hearers of the Word but doers, our doing or lack of doing does not merit our salvation. Just as this is not a call to legalism or not having friends or relationships or shopping with "the outside," so to speak. This is a good reminder that we are to be in the world but not of it. 

What does that mean? 1 John 1:15-17 says, "Do not love the world or the things in the world. If anyone loves the world, the loves of the Father is not in him. For all that is in the world-the desires of the flesh and the desires of the eyes and the pride of possessions-is not from the Father but is from the world. And the world is passing away along with its desires, but whoever does the will of God abides forever."

When you look at your response to trials, does it look like your secular neighbor's? Are people shocked when they find out your a Christian? If you hear more than not, "WOW! I didn't realize you were a believer!" It is time to do a heart check. We should present differently because we are strangers of this world. Our residency and therefore our allegiance is with the Lord of Hosts. Our actions, our lifestyle, our choices should point to the fact that we serve a Risen Savior. If we have the same desires before coming to salvation and then after, something is wrong. 

James is encouraging us to examine this. Chapter 1 has been such an excellent reminder to me of so many areas that I still respond, maybe with the right Christian lingo but not with a heart after God's. When trials come, do I try to numb away the hours with mindless entertainment, or vices; or do I sink in deeper yet to the steadfast love of Jesus? Oh love that will not let me go, I rest my weary soul in thee!!! I wish I could sing that in full honesty, but there are days I cannot. I get anxious, fretful and full of fear. I become a hearer of the Word but as we read I can look in the mirror and walk away forgetting instantly what  I saw. I become tossed to and fro- and it is no wonder I get sea sick in worry. My response is not in direct relation to what I profess. 

To practice true religion is this: to do what we say! To care deeply for those around us, and to be known by our fruits. That we live in a way that radiates Christ that people are not left thinking we are nice; but knowing what it means to follow Jesus.

In our trials in our temptation, in our neighborhoods, in our home, in our marriage, to strangers around us do we demonstrate the love that will not let us go!?

Worship: O Love that wilt not let me go



No comments:

Post a Comment