Wednesday, March 4, 2020

Did God really say? Genesis 3

My heart aches even as I study and begin to write this. The high treason that is committed in this chapter, the fall of man is devastating. He walked with the Lord in paradise. He did not have to work hard and toil to till the ground. Everything was his and everything was good. Yet, somehow it proves to be not enough. And so it the very picture of our heart's condition. It is why we continue to sin even under the robes of Christ's righteousness ( if we are believers), Jesus says in Matthew 26:41 The spirit is willing, but the flesh is weak, and again Paul says in Romans, "for I do not do what I want, but the very thing that I hate." I find myself in my own prayer life, pleading with God in the morning to help me in areas where I struggle and fall, and literally that evening or next morning; yet again asking for forgiveness for my sin and asking God for new mercies that day. Thank God, His mercies are new every morning! Yet such is the plight of man. We are sinners. We will see where this started first, and how yet it echoes through mankind even today.

Therefore as one trespass led to condemnation for all men...
   Genesis 3- Now the serpent was more crafty than any other beast of the field that the Lord God had made. This serpent- Satan. Satan is real. I feel like we need to pause here. Satan is real. We like to teach he isn't. Or, counter to that, make him more powerful than he is. Satan is a real force, He prowls, seeking whom he might devour. When we leave ourselves susceptible to sin, we become easy pray. When we hold the Word of God loosely, as we will see Eve do, we become easy prey. When we are on the fringe or try to be a lone Christian, who doesn't need church, we become easy prey. When we don't accept the whole council of God as authoritative...you get the gist, we become easy prey. Lets start even at our ability to accept this first verse. A few years ago, we took our youth group to the Creation Museum. One of my very favorite exhibits was a room with fanciful children stories of the Garden of Eden and the Flood. And it had a serpent wrapped around the sign:
I loved this sign- surrounded by children's books. Because the lie continues- we built it into a fantasy story, a legend, not the cosmic treason that the fall was- but a story we pass on for morality. It was funny; because the youth, mostly, hated the room. They thought it was overkill- but to me that proved the point of the room all the more. We are no longer offended by a dumbing down of the story. Yes, children's narratives are important so they can understand scripture, but when we routinely liken it to no different than a disney movie; and fail to follow it up with appropriate theological and personal study in the Word of God, well its no wonder the church is losing youth in droves. Because, they believe the narrative- its not really real. Adam was not a historical person. My sin, isn't that bad. Jesus died for humanity collectively- but not me- I owe Him nothing- He owes me what I want, health, wealth and happiness, and if I don't get it- I don't follow. 

For the wages of sin is death... and it starts here. As the serpent approaches Eve- He is not set on opening their eyes, his mission is to kill them, to separate them from God, and that mission continues today.

I think I need to pause here because the next sentence requires a day in itself. But, I want to allow us all to think on these questions today: Do I 'liken,' the bible to a fictional story? Do I believe Adam to be a historical person, in the flesh? Do I have a world view counter to what is being taught in the first 3 chapters of Genesis, one that allows death to be present before the fall of Adam and Eve (evolution)? Do I believe that through one man all fell but through one act of righteousness led to justification and life for all men (Adam and Christ)? Am I in the word enough to recognize a lie when I hear it? Do I allow myself to be susceptible to death and sin by not clinging to my need for a Savior? Have I ever confessed that Jesus Christ is who He says He is, and that I am a sinner in need of saving through the atoning blood of Jesus Christ the Lord? Am I ashamed of the Gospel (this includes fearing the full council of Scripture based on what men will think)? 

Whew- I think I might need more coffee after this one. Truly as I examine my own heart, I am always amazed at the little and big things I allow to slip in, Ask God to reveal your heart today! He is so merciful and gracious to those who call on Him. Let us replace the lies of the world by binding His steadfast love and faithfulness around our neck, and on the tablets of our hearts(Proverbs 3:3) that in Him and through Him and for Him we might terry yet another day. 

No comments:

Post a Comment