Friday, July 3, 2020

James 1:4 Concluding meditations

So, literally today I am having to chose joy! We have faced many external trials since 6am and its okay! Bruce and I talked and prayed this morning how its no coincidence that we are learning what it means to be steadfast and lets testings have their work in us. 

Already the past few days I have seen areas in my life that the trials have shown I need to be deeper in scripture. Areas where I have weaknesses that I can buy into lies instead of Truth. My cousin reminded me yet this morning- keep your eyes fixed! Is this not so true?! When Jesus is Enough, when we live with 'eternity stamped on our eyes,' than Christ not just become but is our source of and ultimate joy. Whether here on earth or joined together eternally in death- He becomes our satisfaction.

And James, writing to a dispersed church knows this is the case. Count it all joy my brethren...

After studying it so in depth my eyes well with tears as I truly think on what these words mean. I wonder did they echo in his own heart as he stood knowing he would be thrown to his death? Did they motivate him every day? Did they serve as balm to the tired and weary soul of the early church? They were watching their leaders drop around them, they had to cling to the thought that Jesus is who He says He is; that He came and died and rose from the dead...and is coming back again. 

Philip- was crucified; Matthew and Paul- beheaded; Barnabas burned to death; Mark dragged to death; Thomas speared; Luke- hung and Peter and Andrew- crucified. They did not die for nothing. The died for the sake of the Gospel. They counted Christ worthy. I can't help but wonder if we feel the same?

In all honesty I wanted to entitle this post- since when have Christians become such jerks? Social media has made me sad and angry. And it is not coming from the world. It is coming from within the church walls. People being cruel, impatient, unkind. Needing to post and boast their opinions and belittle others for theirs and prove points of NON eternal affairs. Oh, if only we were so concerned about sound doctrine as we were the science behind masks. The church has long been able to share the gospel by being Christ to one another within the walls of the church- looking so different it radiates out and people can see they are different. 

When we stop looking within- and start looking up- we can take these daily trials brought on by Covid, and government and political ideologies as moments to practice joy. That we can chose Christ and love Christ and then love others as Christ has loved us. 

And it can start with us, in our hearts and in our homes. When I feel stress to I react towards my kids or husband or am I able to demonstrate the joy set before me? This is a big test point because I can get anxious and very snappy. But I do not desire that. I desire for my family to know who Christ is by how I love them; not from human emotions but from truths charged by  God's Word.

We are taking a 2 week break and I feel it timely. Sister- challenge yourself. Joy is a fruit of the spirit...is it evident in your life? Make a list, write down areas you struggle to chose joy and react in ways that are contrary to what you want to demonstrate. I want to leave you with these prayers of scripture:

Colossians 1:11 May you be strengthened with all power, according to His glorious might, for all endurance and patience with joy...
Romans 12:11-12 Do not be slothful in zeal, be fervent in spirit, serve the Lord. Rejoice in hope, be patient in tribulation, be constant in prayer.

And Ephesians 3:14-19 For this reason I bow my knees before the Father, from whom every family in heaven and on earth is named, that according to the riches of his glory he may grant you to be strengthened with power through His Spirit in your inner being, so that Christ may dwell in your hearts through faith- that you, being rooted and grounded in love, may have strength to comprehend with all the saints what is the breadth and length and height and depth, and to know the love of Christ that surpasses all knowledge, that you may be filled with all the fullness of God.

No comments:

Post a Comment